Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Memory Walk.

This past Saturday we had a Memory Walk here in town. It raises money for the Alzheimer's Association and it seems to be growing by leaps and bounds each year. My work is always involved in this since that is what we do, is work with people who have dementia. I didn't get to be overly involved last year since I had Camden just a mere 6 days prior.

This year was a special year for us, as I got to participate as well as recruit some fellow walkers (my mom and Janelle) and I managed to raise 300 dollars, largely in memory of my Uncle who passed this April after a hard fought battle with the disease.

This year I got to bring Camden, and my Mom and I both walked wearing pictures of her brother, and My mom brought along her BFF Janelle who has a mother suffering from the disease. Below are a few pictures from our day, I apologize they are all iPhone pics, and just like the awesome scatterbrained-ness that I am, I forgot to take a picture of us walkers together AND of Camden. Fail. Anyhow, a few pictures that I DID managed to snap.

The promise garden was an area of flowers where families could write messages to loved ones.

This is a picture that I took of the promise garden. The purple flowers were written in honor of someone who had passed from the disease. The yellow ones are in honor of family members still living. And the blue ones, the blue ones amazed me. It seemed to me that there were SO many. The blue ones stood for those that were present and walking that are currently living with the horrid disease.

Janelle and my Mom with the flowers, including the one from me for my Uncle. And that are both wearing the pictures of their loved ones. So sweet!



A close up of Janelle's flower.

A close up of my Mom's flower.

I wish I had taken better pictures, but it was so scorching hot that all I could focus on was finishing that walk and getting some water and AC. But it was incredibly touching to see all of the community come together to fight this disease. I was so glad to see it! They are still collecting money and tallying things up but it appears that our community has raised over 200k so far. This is amazing and it is so desperately needed, especially as the baby boomers continue to age and need this care.

Thanks to all those who donated!!





No comments:

Post a Comment