Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On Racism

So, one of the favorite kooky patients has been back since I have returned to work from maternity leave.

She came to my exercise group yesterday wearing a brown sock and brown shoe on one foot, and one white sock and white shoe on the other. Keep in mind, she does not have dementia like a lot of the other patients, so she was well aware of what she was doing.

So I asked her, "What happened to your shoes?"

To which she replied, "I am taking a stand against racism", as she proudly displayed both feet to the group saying, "One brown one, and one white one".

I was feeling a bit ornery at this point, so I asked her which shoe she likes better. Ha! :) That one stumped her for a moment, before I jumped in and said "Now, that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?" The look on her face was priceless as she was trying to decide if she should pick a favorite shoe or not.

I tell you what, its moments like this that remind me why I do what I do.

1 comment: